Are you a stressed out Mum?
Does it feel like you have lost your sense of who you are, since welcoming your little bundle of joy into your life?
Has life become a whirlwind of things to do, important tasks to complete and milestones to meet?
Are you putting yourself at the bottom of the list of your own priorities?
You’re doing a great job and to the world you look like super mum, but inside there’s a little bit that feels like you’re losing control in your own life, that you no longer recognize your own authenticity, or sense of purpose.
It’s OK – you are not alone.
There are many mum’s out there who feel this way. However, the reality is that mum’s need to sometimes put themselves first – a happy fulfilled mum is good for the whole family. Not making time to nurture and take care of yourself results in burnout, exhaustion and resentment. We need to relax, rest and re-energize so that we can continue to make a difference in the lives of those we love. Choose a few self nurturing things to do. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time – most importantly it’s the things that make you relax, smile and be joyful. Here are some examples of things you can do to reconnect with yourself, rediscover your purpose and enjoy the moment
- Listen to some music. Take a trip down memory lane.
- Be Grateful – Buy a journal and write down 3 things you are grateful for every day
- Reconnect with loved ones
- Exercise (go for a walk, do yoga, join a gym – many have child minding facilities)
- Get enough sleep – instead of catching up with the chores when baby sleeps, have a nap yourself
- eat healthy whole foods – not just at night with the rest of the family, but for breakfast and lunch too – yes, when you prepare baby’s food, prepare yours.
- Explore something new every week – visit that park or store you’ve been meaning to get to for the last year.
- Do something creative once a week – arrange flowers in a vase, paint a picture, re-arrange you furniture
- Get out in nature
- Learn to let things go – Ask yourself: Will it matter in a month
- Collect things for your “pamper box” (favourites: shower gel, perfume, nail polish, chocolate, books)
- Be intimate – rekindle your relationship
- Laugh – let go of criticism, praise often
- Spend time with your pets
- Give yourself credit for the great job you are doing